Floris UMC offers many different support groups for those struggling with life’s challenges. The following is a list of groups that we offer along with a short description of each. For more information about any of these groups, please contact Jeanette Debernardi or check out our Upcoming Events for the next open meetings.Ongoing Groups
The following are groups that meet regularly throughout the year.
- Adoption Ministry: This group supports and educates those who are exploring adoption. The group meets several times a year and supports each other as they navigate the maze of adoption. For more details contact Mary Chamberlain.
- Alcoholics Anonymous: The only requirement for membership of AA is a desire to stop drinking. This free group allows men and women to share their experiences, strength and hopes in order to stay sober. Meetings take place on Monday and Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in room 202.
- Cancer Support Group: This group provides a caring Christian community for individuals facing the challenges of cancer with personal support, regular educational opportunities and connections to helpful resources. Meetings are normally held on the third Thursday of the month from 6:30-8 p.m.
- Celebrate Recovery: This Christ-centered group helps members face and overcome their hurts, habits and hang-ups. Open meetings are on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. (dinner beginning at 6 p.m.), and gender-specific step groups are on Thursdays from 7-9 p.m. For more information, visit our Celebrate Recovery page.
- Grief Support Group for Kids and Teenagers:Kids and teenagers under the age of 18 who are struggling with a loss are welcome to join this group. For more details or to join, please contact Jeanette Debernardi.
- Support Group for Caregivers of those with Dementia: A support group for family and friends of those with Alzheimer’s disease or other related dementia, this group allows caregivers to shared experiences and gain insight from others. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m.
Some groups don’t meet regularly but hold series or events at different times during the year. To find out when the next meetings or events are or when registration for these groups opens, check our Upcoming Events.
- DivorceCare: DivorceCare is a friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside those going through one of life’s most difficult experiences. This group holds 13-week-long series throughout the year with expert seminars and focused support groups.
- GriefShare: For those grieving the loss of someone, GriefShare is sponsored by people who want to offer comfort and encouragement during this difficult time. This group holds 13-week-long seminar and support groups throughout the year.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: NAMI offers a free, six-session educational course for parents and caregivers of children and teenagers (under age 18) with behavioral, mental or emotional challenges. These classes are offered sporadically and require registration ahead of time.