Dear Floris Family,
The Stop Hunger Now Packaging Event on Sunday afternoon was a huge success and an amazing experience for all of us who participated. There were 230 volunteers in Fellowship Hall who packaged 80,000 meals that will be sent overseas to those in need. It was a fun event that brought together people of all ages. You might enjoy seeing photos of the packaging event.
I am excited for you to see Floris’ Annual Report that is now available. This year’s report is shorter and very readable. It will provide a good overview of the ministry of your church. You may pick up one per family at the Connection Desk in the Gathering Space or view a copy of the Annual Report online.
Possible Email Interruption This Afternoon
This afternoon at 2 PM we have scheduled a switchover from the Verizon T1 to Cox broadband service for faster connectivity. I am told that for about 5 minutes we will not have email or internet service. After that, incoming email service may be interrupted for possibly 4 to 24 hours. If you have anything urgent to communicate to us during that time please give us a call. Let me pre-thank you for your patience.
Let’s Welcome our Guests on Sunday
We will be offering the parking shuttles again on Sunday. Please consider carpooling or parking at the XO Communications/Network Solutions lot and using our parking shuttle for the 9:15 and 11 AM services, particularly if you’ll be bringing more than one car or attending more than one service. This is Confirmation Sunday, and we want to be sure that our Confirmands and their families and friends and other guests have ample parking. Visit our website for details about parking shuttles and off-site parking.
Footprints for Hope
Come take a walk with me and others in the Floris family Saturday at the Footprints for Hope event. The event will include a one-mile walk, a three-mile walk and a 5K run and will benefit the Connections for Hope center. To sign up go to the Helping Children Worldwide website.
New College-Age Small Group
A new small group for graduating seniors and college-age students will meet on Tuesday evenings at 7 PM beginning May 22. They will study the book “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. This is a great opportunity to connect with others and continue to grow deeper in your relationship with Christ and I encourage you to check it out. Contact Jeremy Glovitchwith questions.
Staff Changes and Additions
I want to make you aware of some changes that have happened on our church staff recently.
- Omar Caceres joins the Floris staff as our new Latino Ministry Administrative Assistant.
- Beth Kralles joined us in April as our Application Support Specialist focusing on support for our church management software.
- Donna Porter, our Financial Assistant, has, after many years of service in our financial area, taken a new role as the Serve Ministries Coordinator working with Jake McGlothin and the Serve team.
- Beverly Fife will now work full-time as our Church Accountant.
- Steven Dixon will soon join us as our new A/V Coordinator, overseeing the utilization of audio/visual technologies with a special emphasis placed on the creation of video productions that tell the stories of ministry here at Floris.
- I want to give a special “welcome back” to Karen Heier, who has returned to the Floris staff as our part-time Accounting Assistant. Karen brings great experience as a former bank branch manager.
This Week in Worship
It’s Confirmation Sunday and our students who have just completed ten weeks of study will be confirmed in the church and become members of Floris UMC. There will also be a service at 5 PM on Saturday night to accommodate all of the students being confirmed. That service will be identical to the Sunday services if you’d like to attend. We will continue our current sermon series, Hearing God Speak. When facing an important decision, how do we determine God’s will? What do we do if we are not sure of God’s will in a particular circumstance? Join me as we talk about God’s will for you. Scripture: Romans 8:5-13.