Our vision is to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment for people with unique abilities and their families through all phases of life. We strive to be a church where all people know they are accepted, celebrated and embraced in God’s love.
For more information about Access Ministries, contact Lauren Soljanyk at email@example.com.
What is Access Ministries?
Access Ministries is the Floris UMC community of staff, volunteers, and congregation committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for those with disabilities, unique abilities, or who require additional accommodations, and their family members.
The Access Ministries Oversight Committee interfaces with the disabilities community to better understand its needs and communicate those needs to the Floris UMC leadership. Team members include:
- people with disabilities
- professionals and educators that serve those with disabilities, unique abilities, or who require additional accommodations, and their family members
- church staff
The committee offers recommendations to the Church Council for its consideration and approval and provides support for its implementation.
What are your values?
In accomplishing its vision, Access Ministries adheres to the following values:
- Dignity – We affirm that every person is created in God’s image; all have worth, value, and dignity.
- Respect – We promote self-determination and maintain discretion in our interactions with those with disabilities, unique abilities, or who require additional accommodations, and their families.
- Safety – We carefully vet and train our staff and volunteers to assist and support the large variety of disabilities and unique abilities in our church.
- Accessibility & Accommodations – We provide an accessible building and strive to meet any reasonable accommodation requested to enable full participation in the church for all persons.
- Inclusion – We offer opportunities for people of all abilities to participate in all activities throughout the life of the church.
How can I worship?
Go to Church
- Accessible van – For residents of Coppermine Place apartments in Herndon, we offer round trip rides on our accessible van for those who use wheelchairs for our 11 a.m. worship service every Sunday. To register for this transportation, please contact Barbara Miner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ride-sharing – If you are unable to access the church and would like to request a ride, please contact Barbara Miner at email@example.com.
- Building – Our Herndon building is fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design (1991) including
- designated parking for those with DMV-issued parking placards and license plates
- curb cutouts and ramp access to the building
- power assist doors
- elevator access to all floors
- wheelchair accessible restrooms on every floor
- Sanctuary – Our sanctuary provides easy access for those with mobility issues. Enter through double doors to a sanctuary all on one level. There are pew cutouts for those in wheelchairs, and plenty of space to store walkers and canes. Speak to an usher if you prefer to have communion brought to you.
- Quiet Room – For those who prefer a quiet space, we offer our Chapel which has chairs and a contemplative environment. The sermon can be heard through an amplifier and headset. Please see an usher for assistance.
- Restless Room – For those who prefer a place where they may move or make noise, we offer our Gathering Space which has many tables and chairs. The service is broadcast live via monitors in this area.
- Online Worship – For those unable to attend Floris UMC in person, we offer live stream services from the Herndon campus every Sunday at 9 and 11 a.m. We also provide an online community during the services.
- Previous Services – For those unable to attend in person or during live streams, videos of Sunday services and a podcast of the sermon are available online within two days.
Floris UMC is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for everyone. Learn more about our security policies and procedures.
What accommodations can I access?
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter – We offer ASL interpretation every Sunday at 9 a.m. This is also visible during our online service on the same day and time.
- We offer two types of hearing assistance devices at all of our services. Please see an usher for assistance.
- Telecoil – The telecoil technology connects the user directly to the sanctuary’s audio system and filters out unwanted background noise. This can be connected directly to the user’s hearing aid or through a headset.
- Amplifiers – Amplifiers increase the volume of everything in the room and connect to the user through a headset
- Our website is fully accessible and supports disabilities that affect access to the Internet, including auditory, cognitive, neurological, physical, speech, and visual. To adjust the website, select the logo on the upper right side of the screen.
- Electronic versions of the Bible which can be adjusted for those with vision impairments can be found here:
- Electronic versions of the UMC hymnal which can be adjusted for those with vision impairments can be found here:
What opportunities can I access for young adults?
Access Ministries supports the spiritual growth of our members as they age out of our student programming. We provide support accessing educational program messages, lessons for young adults, and the weekly sermons during the service. Peer support can be requested by contacting Lauren Soljanyk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Floris UMC encourages participation in the life of our church for young adults of all abilities. Please see How can I volunteer? for more information.
What programs can I access for children?
The Floris Buddy Program provides access to Kid Nation, XRoads, Bright Life and Family Ministries for children and students who need support. A Buddy can be requested by a parent or identified by Children and Student Ministry staff. Parents and staff then work together to create a support plan with appropriate spiritual and social goals. Finally, we pick two volunteers from our program to assist during children and student programming. We match Buddy volunteers with children and students based on need, compatibility, and personality.
The Floris Buddy Program gives access to programming for children and students of all abilities and needs. By carefully matching students with trained volunteers, we can provide the necessary accommodations for the highest level of success and independence.
The level of support is a collaboration between the Access Ministries Coordinator and parents. The Individual Spiritual Plan is periodically re-evaluated to ensure that it meets the needs of the child or student.
Contact Lauren Soljanyk at email@example.com for more information about the Buddy Program.
Children and students who need a “reset” or “break” from the classroom environment can use the Sensory Room. This safe space provides sensory stabilization and includes tactile, visual, and auditory tools.
We also provide appropriate supports in the classroom, including the use of
• Visual cues
• Token boards
• Sensory tools
• One-on-one support
How can I volunteer?
We encourage people of all abilities to participate fully in the life of our church. People with disabilities and unique abilities currently support several service and volunteer opportunities:
- Audio Visual Ministry: camera operator, live stream, presenter
- Sunday Hospitality: Welcome Desk, greeters, ushers
- Shuttle Bus Driver: transportation to Sunday worship for nearby members
- Event Support: kitchen helpers (cooking, serving, cleaning up), sign in support, set up/break down, children’s activities
- Music Ministry
- Modern music: band, vocals
- Traditional music: choir, orchestra, concert band
- Access Ministries
- Grow Ministry: life group leaders
- Help Hungry Kids
- Hypothermia Shelter
- Floris Guest House
For more information, contact Lauren Soljanyk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apoyo en Español
¿Tiene usted o alguien que conoce alguna discapacidad o necesidad especial? ¡Access Ministries está aquí para ayudar! Brindamos una variedad de apoyo para que todas las personas puedan participar en la vida de nuestra iglesia. Comuníquese con Jacqueline de los Ríos para obtener más información.